(Ridgewood, NJ - April 18, 2017) Both our CEO, Vivi Ruggles, and our COO, Bill Ruggles, attended an exclusive "Small Business Development Town Hall" hosted by the Ridgewood YMCA/YWCA and co-sponsored by several Chambers of Commerce from the surrounding area, including our own Fair Lawn Chamber.
The panel of 3 speakers included Ms. Amy Travieso, Director of Congressional and Public Affairs for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce; Mr. Tom Bracken, President/CEO of the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce, and the "Keynote", Hon. Josh Gottheimer, the newly-elected U.S. Congressman from our own 5th District-NJ.
Josh announced that he had already created and become the Co-Leader of a new congressional group called the "Problem Solvers Caucus" comprised of 36 members of the House of Representatives (18 Democrats and 18 Republicans). For more on this new bi-partisan caucus, please go to: http://gottheimer.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=136
He also unveiled his "5-Point Economic Growth Plan for New Jersey":
- Look for Growth Opportunities Around the Corner in Industries Where We Are Already Strong (e.g., biotech, pharmaceuticals, photonics, etc.).
- Capitalize on Our Top-Shelf Talent in This State
- Reorient the Suburbs in Bergen, Sussex, and Warren Counties for the Future
- Cut Taxes and Out-of-Date Regulations Up and Down the Line and Get a Better Return on Investment.
- Government -- At All Levels -- Needs to be a Champion and Ally of Business, Not the Answer.
Bill and Vivi were very interested to learn about the status of the "Program Management Improvement and Accountability Act" signed into law by President Obama last December and scheduled for full implementation next December. Toward that end, Chris Tully, Congressman Gottheimer's Chief of Community Engagement and District Director for his Glen Rock Office, agreed to follow-up on obtaining the latest status of this OMB-driven implementation for us. He is also setting up an office visit the next time we will be in Washington, DC on business in mid-June.
For a complete transcript of Josh's remarks at this Town Hall event, please go to: http://gottheimer.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=169.